TVH signs Charter for Sustainable Enterprising
The founders of TVH have been socially concerned since the company began, 40 years ago, both in Belgium and worldwide. Sustainable enterprising at TVH means not only to care about the present day, but also to care about the future generations. This way, everybody living today, does not have to worry about the drying up of the sources in the future.A number of themes are very important for TVH. Every year, goals and campaigns are linked to these themes. At the end of the year, these get evaluated and judged by independent experts.
West-Flemish Charter for Sustainable Enterprising
On 10 March 2009 TVH, amongst a number of other companies, signed the West-Flemish Charter for Sustainable Enterprising. The Charter helps the companies to draw a structure to its sustainable enterprising campaigns and to continuously make better the environmental, social and economical efforts.By signing the Charter, TVH acknowledges the policy and the themes of the Charter and engages to set up long-lasting campaigns within the daily company activities.
A complete new mobility plan has been designed as a reply to the mobility scan that took place in 2007. The mobility plan is a brochure that raises all the possible ways of travelling to TVH, by bike as well as via public transport or carpooling. It also contains a lot of useful information and tips on alternative ways to come to work.
The national campaign ‘I Kyoto’ that runs between 4 and 29 May 2009 is meant to convince the employers and employees to travel to work in an environmentally friendly way. To actively participate in this campaign, all TVH-employees can register every kilometre that they have travelled in an alternative way. A lot of prizes can be won with the collected kilometres, among which 15 Oxford bicycles trial season tickets for De Lijn (bus) or NMBS (train).
The course ‘good driving’ promotes an environmentally friendly and more conscious way of driving. Tips, such as ‘don’t leave the airco on when it is not necessary’, ‘don’t use a luggage carrier when not needed’, and ‘keep the right pressure in your tyres’, encourage to drive more defensive and anticipating and consequently lead to decreased use of gasoline and less CO2-emission.
When products such as batteries, tyres, oil and industrial packaging materials are produced, they also have to be disposed of at the end of their life cycle. For this disposal, TVH pay a taking back contribution to Bebat and Recybat (batteries), Recytyre (tyres), Valorclub (oil) and Val-i-Pac (industrial packaging material).
By the summer time, a roof surface of 11 796 m² and for a capacity of 604 kWp, will be covered with solar panels. Thanks to this investment, 13% of the yearly energy consumption, will be produced in a sustainable way as from then on.The remaining 87% of the energy will be provided by the sustainable Alps Energy of Electrabel. This energy is 100% certified energy of renewable sources. This way, TVH can contribute to the decrease of the emission of greenhouse gasses.
In 2008 a small 10000m² of water was used. 3200m² was taken from the 7 rain wells of 20000 litres. The remaining 6800m² was mains supply. An additional 4 rain wells, will be put into use in 2009. This way we will be able to save on an additional 1500m² of tap water.